Title: Senior ESH Professional
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory, the DOE’s only research facility dedicated to the design, enhancement, implementation, and adoption of renewable energy technology. We have over two thousand employees representing over 40 countries working towards a common mission that impacts communities both domestic and abroad.
This Senior EHS professional will serve as an advanced level Environmental, Safety and Health (ESH) Point of Contact position for research and development centers and support organizations. You will provide technical guidance for hazard ID and control of new or modified work conducted in those organizations. A successful individual will be capable of working independently in frequent interactions with researchers, support staff, senior managers, and Department of Energy (DOE) counterparts.
- Collaborates with research and operational staff to evaluate risks of new or modified work activities and proactively implements continuous environmental, safety and health (ESH) improvements.
- Assists in the development of hazard identification and control documents as part of the research/operations projects or activity life cycle. These include safety/risk assessments, safe work permits, safe operating procedures and readiness verifications prior to operation of new/changed research experiments.
- Performs and coordinates industrial hygiene monitoring, develops industrial hygiene reports and recommends corrective measures based on results of air and noise monitoring, medical surveillances, and ergonomic assessments.
- Conducts advanced risk assessments including process hazard analyses or other complex hazard assessments for pilot- and bench-scale research operations which may present such hazards as biological, electrical, pressures above/below ambient, high temperatures, fire and explosion, lasers, ergonomic and reactive and toxic materials.
- Completes regulatory and code compliance reviews including design reviews for future research projects.
- Provides ESH oversight of subcontractors for construction, service or maintenance activities for areas of support.
- Develops plans for and conducts ESH inspections, audits and oversight assessments.
- Develops and provides ESH training to various organizational units. The training may be formal scheduled classes or informal, on-demand training on special topics.
- Supports the implementation of Environmental Programs in areas such as National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), air quality, water quality, chemical and waste management, natural resources, storage tanks, spill prevention, construction, and Environmental Management Systems (EMS).
- Acts as a member of the NREL Chemical Response Team for spill response. Responsibilities include participation in drills, classroom training, wearing respiratory protection and maintenance of required certifications.
- Conducts accident/incident investigation and causal analysis as needed. Provides follow-up on corrective action implementation.
- Develops, implements and administers assigned NREL ESH programs and Office Desk Procedures.
- Responds to staff inquiries, concerns and requests for assistance on ESH matters including guidance on ESH program implementation and/or interpretation.
To be considered: Please apply via the following link. Please include both a resume and cover letter.