Senior Contractor Safety Specialist
Senior Contractor Safety Specialist
This is an at-will, supplemental full-time position hired to staff a project for a limited or defined period typically not to exceed twenty-four (24) months.
The Colorado Springs Utilities Safety and Health Department is looking for a Senior Safety Specialist | Contractor Safety and Health professional to join the team. In this role, you will be responsible for providing occupational safety and health expertise and oversight of contracted and self-performed construction projects. This position will be responsible for managing the Colorado Springs Utilities’ Contractor Safety Program and support organizational policies and procedures to ensure a compliant, safe and hazard-free workplace for contractors and employees.
- Overall management of the Contractor Safety Program
- Perform safety qualification and performance reviews of all contractors
- Coordinates with ALL appropriate parties on projects to identify hazards and controls, compliance and incident-free performance
- Develops, implements and manages hazard prevention and control programs & methods and techniques to support risk analysis
- Conducts compliance audits/inspections, accident/injury investigations and incident/hazard trend analyses to ensure compliance with Colorado Springs Utilities Safety & Health requirements, laws, standards and regulations
- Prepares, reviews and presents reports that communicate valid and comprehensive recommendations for hazard controls
- Leads, directs and conducts the planning and development of training materials or courses involving hazard recognition and control
- Remains current on applicable technological developments, laws, regulations, standards and industry trends and best practices to control hazards and worker risks, including participation in safety professional associations and training
- Ability to use computers and related software applications to include MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and 3rd Party vendor applications and Safety solutions
What will it take to be successful? The typical candidate will have a High School Diploma or (G.E.D.) and Safety & Health training or certifications, the ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health, Safety Engineering, Environmental Health, Industrial Hygiene or a closely related field and 5+ years of experience in a Safety and Health environment.
We are most interested in your abilities in the following areas, so be sure to highlight them on your application and/or resume:
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, standards, rules and regulations, including federal OSHA, safety and health and regulations for general industry and construction
- Incident investigation processes, methods and techniques, including root cause analysis
- Risk management principles and practices & Hazard recognition and controls
- Data gathering, analysis and interpretation
- Construction Safety & Health programs to include training
- Safety and health inspection and audit processes
- Continuously improve processes, efficiency and effectiveness of operations with a focus on safety
What a career at Colorado Springs Utilities can offer you…
- As a community-owned enterprise for over 100 years, we offer the stability of providing a required service and commodity for our community.
- We are a diverse team of professionals who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our community through new and innovative technologies.
- We understand employees have competing priorities. That is why we have created an environment which embraces teamwork and flexibility.
Join a diverse team of high performers who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our community and tap into the power of your potential!
All postings will close at 11:59pm on the Posting Close Date. Candidates must apply for the position prior to this date and time. If the Posting Close Date is blank, the position will remain open until filled. Actual starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
Colorado Springs Utilities is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Our differences make us richer. Learning and growing from one another makes us more than what we were. We want our workforce to be as diverse as our business and recognize the limitless benefits of this commitment. Our desire is to have the organization reflect the diversity of the Pikes Peak Region. As an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, it is our commitment that no person shall be unlawfully discriminated against because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, religious convictions, veteran status, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation or gender identity. Affirmative Action is Colorado Springs Utilities’ effort to ensure positive steps are taken to have a representative workforce reflective of the relevant available labor force.
Accessibility Accommodations. If you are an individual with a disability or disabled veteran who is unable to use our online tools to search and apply for jobs, you may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 719-668-7500. This option is reserved for individuals who are unable to use or require assistance with the online tools as the result of a disability and is not intended for other purposes.
E-Verify and Right to Work Notice. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Colorado Springs Utilities participates in E-Verify. For more information on your rights and responsibilities as an applicant, please visit: http://coloradospringsutilities.jobs/applicants-rights-and-responsibilities/. If you have a legal right to work in the United States, there are laws to protect you against discrimination in the workplace. You should know that no employer can deny you a job or fire you because of your national origin. Unless mandated by law or government contract, employers cannot require you to be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident or refuse any legally acceptable documents. If any of these things have happened to you, you may have a valid charge of discrimination that can be filed with the OSC. Contact the OSC for assistance in your own language. Call 1-800-255-7688. TDD for the hearing impaired is 1-800-237-2515. In the Washington, D.C., area, please call 202-616-5594, TDD 202-616-5525 Or write to: U.S. Department of Justice Office of Special Counsel NYA 950 Pennsylvania Ave., N.W. Washington, DC 20530.
Colorado Springs Utilities does not sponsor work visas. All eligible applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Job Type: Safety & Health